Amherst Indian School Chapel and Teachers' Cottage
TitleAmherst Indian School Chapel and Teachers' Cottage
A church, a school (right), and a teachers' cottage (center) stand near Bear Mountain in Amherst County, home to the Monacan Indian Nation.
A log cabin, serving as a church, had existed on the site since about 1868. In 1908, the Episcopal minister Arthur P. Gray Jr. established St. Paul's Mission and, by adding classrooms to the cabin, the Bear Mountain Indian Mission School. The school enrolled students through the seventh grade until public school desegregation in 1964.
Jackson Davis (1882–1947) was a Cumberland County native who took this photograph in 1914 as part of a series documenting the education of minority groups in Virginia.
SourceJackson Davis, Papers, 1906-1947, Accession #3072, #3072-a, Negative Number 0021, Special Collections Department, University of Virginia Library
Physical Dimension4" x 6"
Coveragetwentieth century, central Virginia, Amherst
Collection:The Papers of Jackson Davis
Rights Statement: Courtesy of University of Virginia Special Collections