Monacan Quilt

Geolocation

Title

Monacan Quilt

Description

This quilt, depicting Bishop Heath Light of the Episcopal Diocese of Southwestern Virginia shaking hands with former Monacan chief Kenneth Branham, is the work of Pat McCauley, wife of Monacan tribal member Tommy McCauley. It was made to commemorate the return of seven-and-a-half acres of Monacan land to the tribe in 1995. The land that is now the site of the Monacan Museum and Tribal Center was once owned by the Episcopal Church, which ran the Bear Mountain Indian Mission School, founded in 1908.

Creator

Pat McCauley

Date Created

February 1996

Source

Monacan Indian Nation

Format

Textile

Physical Dimension

4' x 5'

Coverage

twentieth century, Amherst

Rights Statement: Courtesy of the Monacan Indian Nation