The Indian Mission at St. Paul's
In 1908, using a log cabin built around 1868 as a church house for the Monacan people, a young Episcopal seminarian named Arthur Gray set up a mission at "Falling Rock" for the Monacan Indian people living in the vicinity. A 7.5-acre parcel was obtained on their behalf by several white neighbors. The people contributed labor and their meager funds to help build the church, and Gray was pleased with their enthusiasm. The log cabin served as the first school building, and an addition was added later. A second building was constructed several decades afterward. The mission had no indoor plumbing, no running water, and only the heat of a woodstove. Water was carried from the creek. In 1914, Rev. Lewis, who succeeded Gray, requested a second mission worker for the community, which then numbered 450 people. Soon after, Sweet Briar College built a small house adjacent to the church for the mission workers, who had previously lived in a log house down the road. In 1930 a fire destroyed the church and parsonage, and both were rebuilt the following year. At that time, 46 children were enrolled in the first-sixth-grade school, and about 200 people participated in church activities. Additional small parcels of land were acquired over time, and a playground was constructed in 1951.